Dear fellow crafters and textile workers, valued customers, dear friends,
“Spring is different but hope dies last” would be the appropriate description of the situation outside, I guess.
Here at the Flax Mill we have been holding back on the extensive annual gardening work, just done the absolute minimum to be ready “to go” anytime. Hermann is very frustrated about this.
I think it’s more than time for a few news-items from inside the mill and from the world of linen-making:
– The number of visitors during the first two months of 2020 was unusually high. February is always one of our busy months with customers completing their stocking up etc. Despite the absurd weather that hasn’t changed in 2020.
– Some mails came recently with people wondering whether we are making cloth only now and no finished products. We introduced a good lot of new fabrics (mostly linen) in our last two newsletters but for those who might have got the wrong impression: We are well stocked with finished pieces!
* Various new designs of Irish Linen handkerchiefs are now on the shop-counter, the presentable “box of 3” is very liked.
* Scarves and shawls, one of the “evergreens” in finished pieces, got an “overhaul”, a number of new designs by myself and Emma are now ready and woven.
* I have put a lot of emphasis on hand-embroidered table–ware recently. All one – offs and very hard to keep here (table cloths, runners and napkins) but there’s always the one or the other jewel to be had.
We have (as we write this) 30(!!) different hand-woven linen table runners and a good dozen of handwoven blankets on stock – any visit to the mill is worth it!
So much for today – for all of you who are women: Have a great International Women’s Day!
For all our friends: Hope to meet up very soon,
Love over Gold